This issue comes up time and again on this blog. The usual argument of disgruntled commenter includes one or more of the following:
- We are living in a democracy.
- The blog is in public space.
- You are writing in public.
- etc. etc.
- I have the right to say whatever I want.
- If you moderate, censor or verbally try to stop me from commenting you are doing something unethical, undemocratic and what the hell, probably even illegal.
Let me clarify once and for all
- Blog is a moderated space. (And that’s why all the makers of blogging platforms have put in hours of work in providing moderating capabilities.) I am the Administrator and have a right to decide what goes in here. Either as posts, or as other content including comments. Because the writings are in public, it does not mean I am obiliged to listen to anything anyone has to say in comments.
- Democracy? I am not running a government for a state here. This is a humble, little blog please and I would have it the way I want. The one and only reason it exists is because I like writing. Anything else is an extra and does not matter if it hampers my enjoyment. So long as I am not writing something that violates the law of the land in any manner, I am just fine. You have all the rights to not read this blog (and that’s what a huge majority of the population of the world does, isn’t it?)
And finally I do not like a comment that is
- Written with a “know-it-all” attitude or in a patronizing “I-am-like-your-grand-pa” tone.
- Being drageed on and on and on senselessly just to get others (including me) to agree to your view point. If you have a differing view-point, state it without being contemptual towards the existing one, avoid doing anything stated in the earlier bullet-point and move on. Its fine there. If I do not agree, then that’s what it is. I do not agree. Nothing more, nothing less. If you come back to attack my view of life, you will get that in return or worse for you (better for me), I will simply start censoring your comments.